Friday, April 30, 2010

Helen, Georgia

Grandma Fife was such a blessing to have around. My yard was in serious need of help and she took it upon herself to help beautify it. She mowed, weeded, sprayed for bees, planted flowers, and swept the carport and driveway. She also babysat for me so that I could go visiting teaching and go to doctors appointments. She did it all! Most of all she gave great moral support after Morgan left. Thank you so much. I truly have the greatest mother-in-law.
After working all week, we decided to head up to Helen, GA to sight see. On the way up we stopped in Cleveland, GA to pan for gems.
Grandma was hoping to strike it rich! We did find some rubies and other jewels that I can't remember the names of right now and of course fool's gold.
Then we headed up to Anna Ruby Falls and had a picnic lunch. The hike up to the falls was just about a half a mile. We had to take a few breaks for the kids and to also enjoy the beautiful forest and creek around us.

Anna Ruby Falls is unique because there are two separate falls.
Next was the actual town of Helen. It is similar to Leavenworth, WA and is set in the Bavarian theme. We visited some of the shops but Hansel and Gretel's candy shop was our favorite!
We took a horse drawn carriage ride around the town.
The ride was much sweeter with our chocolates!
After the ride, the driver gave the children carrots to feed our horse, Cadillac Jack. The children were a little hesitant but Grandma helped them!
I love Miriam's experience of feeding Cadillac Jack...this photo seems to capture how afraid she really was!
The children were well behaved and we stopped for a southern dinner at Cracker Barrel. Once we got home the kids went to bed so easily! I think we really wore them out! I can't wait to go back to the Falls with Morgan in the autumn when the leaves are changing. Georgia is really a beautiful state!

2 comments:

Cort, Kimi, Metz and Chase said...

Oh I remember when it was miriam asleep in that carrier! Has that much time really passed?!?! I love your haircut and hang in there with Morgan so far away. Kimi

Graham said...

Yay for mother-in-laws! My mom is a work horse! She always works so hard when she comes to visit me. I am glad you got her to have some fun too! That is so neat that they have something like Leavenworth out there! I'll have to look maybe they have something like that out here!

You are a brave momma. I haven't been on my own as much as you, but right before we moved here I did it for a couple of months and when Graham was working 88 hours weeks he was home only to sleep, so I feel you. You are a great mom and you are doing a great job! Happy Mother's Day!