Thursday, September 1, 2011

1st Day of School 2011

Today is the 1st day of school. We laid out our outfits last night and everyone woke up happy this morning. Cross your fingers that this habit lasts all year!

Miriam ready for Pre-K.




Luke ready to make a great start in 1st grade.




This is Luke's 1st year riding the bus. Luckily there are plenty of neighborhood children that will be waiting with him each morning at the bus stop.

Miriam's school starts shortly after Luke's bus leaves, so we just walked over afterwards. She couldn't wait to get inside and start making friends.

This morning I was reminded of how much our Heavenly Father loves us and wants to help ease our fears. Last year I drove Luke to school because I wanted to know that he got to the building safely each day and I wanted to protect him from the older kids on the buses. However this year, driving Luke to school was not an option. The closest elementary school was full and Luke is enrolled at another great elementary school, just further away. We just felt that bus was the best option especially with the new baby on the way.

So this morning we prayed that everyone would get to school safe and that they could start making friends. Morgan gave each child a very tender father's blessing and then we headed to the bus stop. While waiting for the bus, Luke saw a little girl that he had met at Registration a few weeks earlier. They had played together on the playground and really hit it off. I then met her mom and found out that they live just a few houses down from us. They are even in the same grade...and the same class. They will be riding the same bus and going into the same classroom each morning. I just felt so relieved knowing that Luke wouldn't be alone on the commute to school and that he has someone that is familiar with the school to help show him around. When the bus arrived, Luke and his new friend Tressa climbed aboard together and then found seats together. I think Luke is going to be OK this year...and so will his overprotective mother.

I am so grateful for life's little blessings. I was reminded today that our Father in Heaven is concerned even about the little details in our lives and wants to help resolve our worries. Such a good lesson to learn this morning!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I swear first day of school is way harder on moms then on the kids. We worry to much. Kids are more resilient then we give them credit for. I kept hanging around Zoey's room that first day and she just kept telling me she was FINE and I could leave.

Nick and Jesse Coleman said...

You guys have a blog!! Yay!! Ours is private, but if you send me your email address on Facebook, I'll send you an invite :)

Luke & Miriam look so cute and excited for school! And, yes, I love that Heavenly Father knows our concerns, both big and small, and offers his reassurance if we seek it.

Graham said...

You are so cute! :) I loved that little lesson. Very well put! ... oh and the kids are cute too! ;)